Our outdoor Implement Shelter houses large pieces of equipment including harrows and disk ploughs. Most of these particular pieces would have been pulled behind arm tractors, but earlier they were pulled by horses. It also houses our Blacksmith Shop which was constructed to display early blacksmith tools.Read More
Originally located on Canal Street East, the Boyd Carriage House is the only building that remains of the Boyd family estate. The estate was founded by Mossom Boyd and was built in stages around the cottages of Thomas Need, founder of Bobcaygeon.
The carriage house was constructed circa 1840 and was used to house the wealthy Boyd’s various horses, carriages and cars.Read More
in 2015 W.G. Jackett and Sons Construction moved the pillars rom the Need St. entrance of the Mossom Boyd Property in Bobcaygeon. The pillars were then reassembled at the entrance of Kawartha Settlers' Village by a team of dedicated volunteers led by George Coene.Read More
The shanty was built in 1910 by Silas Crowe on commission by W.T.C. Boyd, son of “Lumber King of the Trent” Mossom Boyd. W.T.C. wanted a log shanty replica as a curiosity building for his guests from Europe. The Shanty was built on the Boyd Edgewood Estate, Canal Street, Bobcaygeon and relocated to Kawartha Settlers’ Village in 2005.Read More
Since 2003, local grade 3 students have been coming to the Children’s Settlers’ Garden. Instructed by Bobcaygeon Horticultural volunteers, they use only hand tools to prepare the soil with organic material. They plant vegetables seeds that would have been common in a settler’s garden of the past. This includes the Three Sisters consisting of maize, climbing beans and squash, grown originally by the First Peoples of North America. No pesticides are used and watering is minimal. The produce is donated to the local Food Bank.Read More
The newest addition to Kawartha Settlers' Village, the Discovery Trail offers an outdoor glimpse into the history and nature of our area. With interpretive signage, and a vast array of flora, fauna and wildlife, a visit to KSV isn't complete without taking a stroll through the Discovery Trail.Read More
Original to the Murphy property (but re-built), it is used as a utility building and display space for special events. Attached is K.S.V’s Snack Shack which we use to serve food out of during events. The Drive Shed would be where farm implements would be stored.Read More
John and Ellen Duggan came to Canada with three daughters in 1835. After renting a homestead farm for a period of time, they purchased this house in 1851 for approximately $400. Their main crops included wheat, peas, potatoes and oats and they kept cattle, sheep, horses and pigs.
In the 1860’s the Duggans purchased the adjacent lot and farmed there as well, while continuing to live in the 1 1/2 storey log house that John had built. Eventually, the family built a new home on the property to house their 13 children and their log cabin was used to house hired hands. The old 1 1/2 storey log cabin was donated to Kawartha Settlers’ Village and is maintained by the friends of Duggan house, who continue to work on the restoration.
Architectural Design: The most interesting and rare feature is the pantry door which appears to be four boards together. However, when the door is opened, it is revealed to be one piece of wood which is made to look like several boards.Read More
A Methodist church built in 1885. In 1960 it was sold to a local farmer who used it as a barn and chicken coop. In 1996 it was donated to the Village and restored as close as possible, to its original simple beauty. Fairbairn Church can be rented for weddings or services.Read More
The Fire Hall is a replica of the original Bobcaygeon Fire Company Hall, built prior to the 1900’s. It was situated on Bobcaygeon’s middle island, just north of the locks. When the Fire Hall was built, the Fire Company used horse-drawn steam engines and hand pumps. In 1934, the original hall was torn down to make way for a new Post Office. The older truck housed in our Fire Hall was the first powered fire truck purchased by the Bobcaygeon Fire Department in the 1930’s. The other truck is from the 1950’s. Special thank you to the City of Kawartha Lakes Parks, Recreation & Culture Division for providing funding for the repairs to the Fire Hall.Read More
Donated by Frank and Joyce Poole as a quiet spot of reflection and remembrance.Read More
The General Store was originally Jimmie Hill’s Harness Shop on King Street in Bobcaygeon. The Village transformed the harness shop into a General Store to showcase the items on necessity that would have been available to area settlers. Often, the general store contained the post office, and the barber shop and provided essential goods and a social gathering place for the local settlers.Read More
This Colonial-Georgian Revival home was built for Robert Henderson and his family between 1910 and 1913, by William Grant, a local builder and Trent Waterways Supervisor. Henderson was a prosperous blacksmith who worked out of his adjacent shop on Front Street in Bobcaygeon. The original waterfront location had a beautiful view of the dam and river. Special thank you to the City of Kawartha Lakes Parks, Recreation & Culture Divison for providing funding for the repairs to the Henderson House.Read More
Visit the honey shack and witness a real life bee hive in operation. Don't worry, they are safely behind glass, where they can come in and out and operate as a regular hive. It gives viewers an up close and educational glance into the life of bees and their importance to our environment. It has easily become one of the most popular exhibits at the Village.Read More
This jail cell is circa 1874. The jail did not have a roof at that time and was generally only in use on Saturday nights. Shortly after Bobcaygeon was incorporated as a town in 1876, this cell was put in the Town Hall, currently the Lion’s Hall on Main Street.Read More
This house was built in 1864 by Irish immigrants Thomas and Ester Junkin. Since the 1830’s many of their relatives from Northern Ireland had set up various homesteads in the area of Upper Canada. Upon the couple’s arrival, they were welcomed and helped by family members and others who had established themselves in the community. They built a shanty and eventually upgraded to this larger log home where they raised their seven children. The house features a uniquely shaped summer kitchen that also doubled as a barn and shed during the winter. The house was lived in by Junkins until the 1960’s and is now maintained by the Junkin Family Society.Read More
This is a replica of a pioneer log house that serves as a children’s playhouse. The material for this cabin was donated by Robert and Kim Prescott.Read More
The newest building in the Village is The Kimble House. It was originally located on County Rd. 49 and was constructed on property owned by Ross Kimble in approximately 1865. The house was rented or loaned to Levi Kimble. He and his wife Elizabeth Irwin raised their six children here. In 1960 the Kimble house was relocated to Highway 36 south of Bobcaygeon where it was renovated and an addition constructed. In 2011, new owners of the property approached Settlers’ Village with the news that they were going to demolish the building and offered the building to the Village. The Board of Directors were aware of the need for additional space to accommodate youth programs on site and accepted the offer of the donated building. Peter Katcher, owner of Pollard House Moving, moved the structure to KSV in November of 2011. Renovations were carried out during the winter of 2011-2012 and the building was used for the school class visits and summer camps in 2012. The Board of Directors decided to name the structure the Kimble House in recognition of the original owner. Special thank you to the City of Kawartha Lakes Parks, Recreation & Culture Division for providing funding for the repairs to the Kimble House.Read More
The Muir House was originally located in Digby Township. It was built by Robert Muir in 1868, when his son John married Irish immigrant Minnie McDill. In 1976, the house was moved to Lindsay and became the temporary home of the Lindsay Museum. In 2002, it was moved to the Village to be used as a display area and gallery.Read More
The Murphy family settled in Bobcaygeon in the 1860’s after arriving from Ireland. In 1873, John and Mary-Ann Murphy purchased this farm plot and by 1900, it was a prosperous dairy farm operated by their son, Gerald. In the 1930’s, when installing pasteurization equipment was required the farm was forced to close. Today, the barn’s granery and hayloft house many of our special events as well as displaying our large collection of tools, implements and household effects.Read More