This house was built in 1864 by Irish immigrants Thomas and Ester Junkin. Since the 1830’s many of their relatives from Northern Ireland had set up various homesteads in the area of Upper Canada. Upon the couple’s arrival, they were welcomed and helped by family members and others who had established themselves in the community. They built a shanty and eventually upgraded to this larger log home where they raised their seven children. The house features a uniquely shaped summer kitchen that also doubled as a barn and shed during the winter. The house was lived in by Junkins until the 1960’s and is now maintained by the Junkin Family Society.